If you know anything about me at all, you know that my love for Batman knows no bounds. With that being said, after rewatching The Dark Knight Trilogy for the
second one-hundredth time, I have finally decided to rank the top ten quotes from one of the most quotable trilogies of all times.
10. “One day you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed, so you’d be spared your pain.” – Ra’s Al Ghul (Batman Begins)
This is mad deep, just think about it for a second. Being a big Batman nerd, this makes so much sense and it bothers me when people just brush over this because they think Batman Begins was inferior to The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. They are wrong. Ra’s Al Ghul is an eternal being, (assuming he can immerse himself in the Lazarus Pit) and imagine yourself being in love with someone so much that every single day it’s painful just to think about them? This is what this quote is about. Poor Ra’s….
9. “Bruce. Deep down you may still be that same great kid you used to be. But it’s not who you are underneath, it’s what you do that defines you.” – Rachel Dawes (Batman Begins)
What may be the most profound quote in not only Batman Begins, but the entire Dark Knight Trilogy is uttered by Rachel as a slap in the face to Bruce. Later on though, Batman uses it as his way of revealing to Rachel his true identity.
It’s a beautiful quote, seeping with wisdom and truth. It really is what we do that defines us, regardless of whether or not that matches what is underneath. That realization plays well into the developing theme of Batman as not just a person, but as a symbol.
It also speaks so directly to the dual-identity life that all superheroes are faced with, and the struggle of whether or not to share their secret with those they love. Even though who we are underneath doesn’t directly define us, the internal conflict he faces directly inspires Batman’s actions, which are seen by all.
8. “When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural.” – Ra’s Al Ghul (Batman Begins)
Sure, this can be taken as “let’s kill everyone”, but to me it’s a little deeper than that. Think about it as your life, you need to purge yourself from the wasteful things in life in order to get to what really matters, the bare bones. Or you can take it in a way of something someone tells you and you need to burn through all the bull****. Bet you never thought about it like that.
7. “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” – Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight)
Good old Harvey Dent comes in at number __. How can someone forget one of the most quotable quotes in The Dark Knight?
The irony of this quote makes it even more memorable considering that Harvey Dent didn’t do just one of those, he did both. He died a hero in the eyes of Gotham, but those who saw him in his last moments knew the villain he actually became.
6. “The night is darkest just before the dawn.” – Harvey Dent (The Dark Knight)
Whatever you are going though, just know it will get better. Harvey Dent reminds us of that when he tries to convice Gotham that he is Batman and that the Joker’s reign is almost over. How did that work out?
5. “You start pretending to have fun, you might even have a little by accident.” – Alfred Pennyworth (Batman Begins)
Some will not ever notice this quote, but oh how influential it is. You might be having the worst week, or month of your life, but push through it. “Pretend” to have fun because you never know, by the end you will notice that you are actually starting to have fun again.
4. “Don’t talk like one of them, you’re not! Even if you’d like to be. To them, you’re just a freak, like me! They need you right now, but when they don’t, they’ll cast you out, like a leper. You see, their morals, their code, it’s a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They’re only as good as the world allows them to be. I’ll show you. When the chips are down, these… these civilized people, they’ll eat each other. See, I’m not a monster. I’m just ahead of the curve.” – The Joker (The Dark Knight)
Heath Ledger’s incredible portrayal of the Joker will go down as one of the greatest performances of all time. Ledger was the Joker, becoming totally unrecognizable as he immersed himself in his role. (the verdict is still out on Jared Leto in Suicide Squad).
When the Joker dropped this quote while in the interigation room with Batman, it was one of the best lines in the trilogy, although not the most memorable. A couple of lines before Batman tries to tell the Joker they are not alike, but the Clown Prince of Crime turned the table around and showed that when it’s all done, people will turn on Batman, which they did…. Is the Joker a genious? Nah, just ahead of the curve.
4. “Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated… but we are initiated, aren’t we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows! You think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding.” – Bane (The Dark Knight Rises)
The anarchy that Bane inspired and the terror that he brought to Gotham City was truly frightening. Most of all though, Tom Hardy’s portrayal of the masked villain was absolutely brilliant. Most of his dialogue was quote-worthy, but it was this line in particular that sent an extra chill down my spine.
We had no idea that Bane would have actually known who Batman was. Yet as he’s underground and is about to break Batman he drops the bomb (figuratively speaking) about Batman’s identity. At first it took me a while to hear it, but after watching it maybe the 3rd time, it sank in.
This quote also marks the lowest point for Batman. It doesn’t seem as if things could possibly get any worse and we are left there thinking “oh sh*t, this is over… Batman had met his match and he will not be able to come back from a freaking broken back…” Oh wait, this is Batman we are talking about, not Superman… (phew, phew)
3. “If you’re good at something, never do it for free.” – The Joker (The Dark Knight)
In life, never do anything for free. The Joker sure does know how to do memorable quotes. Take this quote and take it as is.
2. “People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy, and I can’t do that as Bruce Wayne. As a man, I’m flesh and blood; I can be ignored, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol… as a symbol I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting.” – Bruce Wayne (Batman Begins)
This quote is the defining moment of the entire trilogy put into words. It is when Batman actually begins. Once Bruce realized that Gotham needed him, but not as Bruce Wayne, as something more, is when he first realized the possibility of Batman. And the rest is history.
This quote lays out a theme that is carried through the entire trilogy. The theme that Batman is more than Bruce Wayne in a costume. Batman is a symbol of hope. It doesn’t matter who is in the suit. All people need to know is that Batman is there watching over the people of Gotham.
1. “A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know that the world hadn’t ended. ” – Batman (The Dark Knight Rises)
THIS is the moment we all waited for since the first movie, the time that Batman finally revealed himself to Commisioner Gordon after all this time. Of course, in typical Batman fashion he left it crypitic and made Gordon think about it.